REPORT: Democrats introduce ‘SWAMP’ Act to restrict Trump’s meetings with foreign leaders
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A group of Senate Democrats introduced legislation Monday that would block the Trump administration from holding meetings with foreign heads of state at Trump-owned properties.
Sens. Jeff Merkley (Ore.), Ed Markey (Mass.) and Mazie Hirono (Hawaii) introduced the Scrutinizing White House Activities that Make Profits (SWAMP) Act.
The article goes on to state the following:
The measure would ban the administration from using taxpayer funds to meet with a foreign leader or hold other multilateral meetings at the Trump International Hotel, Trump Tower, Mar-A-Lago, the Doral, Fla., resort or any other property that the president or his immediate family have majority ownership in.
“Trump’s attempt to hold the G-7 at his own resort was corrupt. It was a violation of the Constitution. It was an abuse of power. And we must put an end to his self-dealing,” Merkley said in a news release.
“The fact that the President thinks that it is okay to write himself a check from taxpayer money and foreign governments shows the absolute depth of his corruption. It’s time for Congress to step in and make it crystal clear: President Trump cannot profiteer off of his meetings with foreign leaders—not with the G-7, not ever.”
Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), 2 colleagues today introduced the Scrutinizing White House Activities that Make Profits (SWAMP) Act to bar any multilateral summits or meetings with foreign heads of state from being held at Trump Organization-owned properties. https://t.co/GWyvAAnGvQ
— KTVZ NewsChannel 21 (@KTVZ) October 21, 2019
Inbox: Sens. Merkley, Markey, and Hirono have introduced the Scrutinizing White House Activities that Make Profits (SWAMP) Act of 2019, legislation that would prohibit any multilateral summits or meetings with foreign heads of state from being held at Trump Org.-owned properties.
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) October 21, 2019
It’s good that this time Trump is caving, but the fact that he and his enablers still think it’s ok for Trump to write himself a check with taxpayer money shows the depth of their corruption.https://t.co/DqRg6rg5kC
— Senator Jeff Merkley (@SenJeffMerkley) October 20, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Ted Cruz torches Rosenstein on Russia probe in blistering grilling
- EXCLUSIVE: NYPD commissioner shares video of cops finding bricks left for looters
- BREAKING: Senate votes on House-passed Paycheck Protection Program reform bill
- REPORT: Florida city becomes first to ban gun sales and carry during ’emergency declaration’
- REPORT: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to NFL team, ‘Change your name’
- BREAKING: Pelosi says House will soon announce sweeping police reform legislation
- TRUMP TWEETS: Rips into Sen. Lisa Murkowski with fire and fury!
- VIDEO: Footage of 7-year-old girl in Black Lives Matter march goes viral
- BREAKING: Shock report on jobs for May, economists floored
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’