REPORT: De Blasio to Trump: ‘See you in court’ over new rule for immigrants
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the city will take the Trump administration to court over a new rule that will prohibit entry to immigrants or deny visa renewals based on their reliance to government benefits.
“The President is launching a direct assault on our immigrant brothers and sisters. The America we know was built by hardworking dreamers from all over the world,” de Blasio, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, said in a Monday press statement. “That’s the America we’re fighting to protect. To our immigrant New Yorkers: We stand with you now and always. To our president: We’ll see you in court.”
The article goes on to state the following:
New York City’s Office of Immigrant Affair’s Commissioner Bitta Mostofi concurred with the mayor, saying, “The ‘public charge’ rule is yet another attempt by the Trump administration to instill fear and concern among working immigrant families, but rest assured — New Yorkers are fighters and the city will do everything in our power to ensure people have the resources they need to at this critical time.”
Immigrants seeking green cards and legal status must first prove that they will not be a burden to the U.S. The new rules say U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers will weigh public assistance and factors such as education, household income, and health when determining whether to grant legal status.
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: New sexual misconduct accusation leveled against Kavanaugh, echoes previous allegation
- REPORT: Baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces [PICTURES]
- REPORT: DC flies US flags with 51 stars ahead of statehood hearing
- REPORT: Mike Flynn Is Finally Fighting Back
- POLL: Do you like MAGA or KAG?
- REPORT: Pelosi claims to know why multiple Republicans are retiring
- REPORT: Trooper Attacked, Left With Serious Facial Injuries After Routine Traffic Stop
- REPORT: Union County high school teacher reportedly told students VP Pence should be ‘shot in the head’
- VIDEO: Portland crowd boos during on-field Armed Forces swearing-in on 9/11
- REPORT: Even baby boomers are way behind on retirement savings