REPORT: Cummings offers to delay contempt vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said Tuesday that he would hold off on his committee’s contempt votes for Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross if officials provided certain documents to Congress by Wednesday.
In a letter sent to Barr on Tuesday evening, Cummings was critical of a Department of Justice (DOJ) letter sent earlier in the day that warned that the department would ask President Trump to assert executive privilege over the documents on the census citizenship question subpoenaed by the committee over the contempt vote, scheduled for Wednesday morning.
The article goes on to state the following:
“In other words, without making any recognizable counter-offer with respect to the documents under subpoena, the Department appears to be indicating that it may stop producing responsive documents over which even the Department concedes no privilege exists—and that the Department may also withhold documents in other investigations,” Cummings wrote.
Updates >> DOJ and Cummings traded last-minute offers late tonight but DOJ doesn’t plan on responding again tonight.
As of now, contempt proceedings against Barr and Ross will go forward as planned — but Cummings’ offer (see above) is still on the table.https://t.co/3IpjzSohwW
— Andrew Desiderio (@desiderioDC) June 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Boy who was slashed in the throat by mom dies while standing in lunch line at school
- BREAKING: Justice Department releases opinion in fight for Trump’s tax returns
- REPORT: Trump brings out the chopping block with executive order on ‘advisory boards’
- VIDEO: Meghan Markle appears to be corrected by Prince Harry in viral Trooping the Colour video
- REPORT: Teen goes berserk during graduation practice, stabs principal in chest
- REPORT: State Assembly votes to give driver’s licenses to undocumented immigrants
- BREAKING: Judge makes decision on lawsuit from ex-Trump campaign staffer with kissing allegation
- REPORT: DOJ inspector general resolved ‘hang up’ on first Carter Page FISA application [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Official says African-American voters will ‘determine who sits in the White House’ – here’s who they support
- Trump newest tweet warns of a stock market crash