REPORT: COVID-19 symptoms may include altered senses
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
Doctors and researchers still have much to learn about the exact symptoms caused by COVID-19, but a group of ear, nose and throat doctors now suspect two such symptoms may be an altered sense of taste, called dysgeusia, and a loss of smell, known as anosmia.
In a statement released earlier this week, the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery reported: “Anecdotal evidence is rapidly accumulating from sites around the world that anosmia and dysgeusia are significant symptoms associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Anosmia, in particular, has been seen in patients ultimately testing positive for the coronavirus with no other symptoms.”
The article goes on to state the following:
But many other viral infections, including the common cold, similarly can impair one’s senses. About 40% of patients recovering from a viral illness report a loss of smell, according to Dr. D.J. Verret, who’s double board certified in otolaryngology, head and neck, and facial plastic surgery.
A loss of smell is emerging as a symptom of #COVID-19. Might be due to the silencing of a gene called sonic hedgehog and a loss of signaling factors that cause stem cells to divide in the tongue and nose. Alpha-lipoic acid seems to help. Here’s the paper:👃https://t.co/4HvNYYb92Q
— David Sinclair, PhD AO (@davidasinclair) March 23, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Romney joins Dem senator to send ‘warning’ to Trump
- REPORT: New ‘hot spot’ state: Coronavirus cases jump 42 percent in one day
- REPORT: Scientists warn about one way COVID-19 can be transmitted
- VIDEO: Healthy 39-year-old DJ died of coronavirus. What his young widow and daughter want you to know [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Republicans rip ‘partisan’ Pelosi panel on coronavirus response: ‘This isn’t about oversight’
- REPORT: Experts, Trump advisers doubt White House coronavirus deaths estimate
- TRUMP TWEETS: ‘Great news’ and big thanks in series of posts
- VIDEO: Bernie Sanders snaps at crying baby at campaign event
- REPORT: Biden Has Earned 11 Pinocchios From Fact-Checkers During Coronavirus Crisis
- VIDEO: WWII veteran recovers from coronavirus in time to celebrate 104th birthday [PHOTOS]