REPORT: Court rules in case against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer after GOP lawmakers challenge her coronavirus restrictions
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
The Michigan Court of Claims ruled Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has the authority to keep her state under a state of emergency without legislative approval, after GOP lawmakers challenged her extension of sweeping restrictions.
Republicans in the House and Senate were frustrated with Whitmer’s one-size strategy to stop the spread of coronavirus by keeping people home and shutting businesses in regions minimally affected by the virus and far from the state’s epicenter, the Detroit area.
The article goes on to state the following:
The legislature did not approve the extension of Whitmer’s emergency declaration but she enacted it anyway, extending the stay-at-home order until May 28 but loosening some restrictions. On May 18, Whitmer allowed retail businesses, bars and restaurants in two regions to open at a limited capacity.
— Michigan Attorney General (@MIAttyGen) May 21, 2020
A Michigan court has ruled in favor of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a lawsuit brought by Republican state lawmakers over her coronavirus stay-home order. https://t.co/e2trJQQ4uT
— The Associated Press (@AP) May 21, 2020
BREAKING: In a lawsuit filed by Republican legislators, the Michigan Court of Claims has ruled Gov. Gretchen Whitmer can continue to keep the state under a state of emergency without legislative approval. https://t.co/m0wiqyb2Xu
— Local 4 WDIV Detroit (@Local4News) May 21, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff ‘highly recommends’ what home owners should do to looters
- OpEd: STONE: Now That I’m Ungagged, I’d Like To Say A Few Things About My Prosecution
- VIDEO: Officer suspended after punching woman who was beating on fellow officer
- VIDEO: Ben Carson speaks out on protests and rioting across the nation
- REPORT: DOJ files formal appeal with Supreme Court over House access to Mueller grand jury material
- VIDEO: Ilhan Omar claims rioters were ‘terrorized’ by National Guard, police
- REPORT: Twitter restricts tweet from Rep. Matt Gaetz for ‘glorifying violence’
- REPORT: GOP governor rejects use of military to quell protests
- REPORT: Trump gives Grenell something special after he steps down