REPORT: Is coronavirus a greater risk to smokers?
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by DailyMail:
Smokers face a greater risk of suffering severe complications from the coronavirus, according to research.
Chinese academics found a quarter of infected patients who needed life support or died were smokers.
The article goes on to state the following:
In contrast, only 11 per cent of patients with mild symptoms such as a cough and a fever were smokers.
Another study in Wuhan found similar results: the disease progressed further in smokers.
European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC) agency for disease control, while noting that the data was still limited, also said smoking can lead to more serious complications from a coronavirus infection.
In an updated assessment of risks caused by the coronavirus, the ECDC included smokers as potentially vulnerable to COVID-19.
“It also said data from China showed 80% of people infected with the disease had only mild symptoms, but in Europe that percentage dropped to 70%, as three in every 10 cases have required hospitalization,” Reuters reported.
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) March 25, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit DailyMail. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting DailyMail
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Details emerge of CDC funding cuts repeatedly sought by Obama admin, despite Biden’s attacks on Trump preparedness
- REPORT: Trump wants THIS to appear on economic relief checks, WSJ claims
- REPORT: Princess becomes first royal to die from coronavirus
- REPORT: Virus cases surging in California, mayor warns his city is days away from being next NYC
- REPORT: Widespread flushing of toilet paper ‘alternatives’ causing major problems [PHOTO]
- REPORT: Riots erupt in China’s coronavirus epicentre Wuhan; riot police clash with civilians
- REPORT: 15,000 Indians may have been infected by ‘super-spreader’ guru
- REPORT: 66 Residents of One Nursing Home Have COVID-19
- BREAKING: CDC issues travel advisory for residents of 3 US states
- REPORT: Haiti hospital chief kidnapped amid coronavirus emergency [VIDEO]