REPORT: Confederate monuments to pay the price for Northam scandal
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Embattled Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam says that he wants to take down Confederate statues and monuments in the state.
“I will take a harder line,” Northam told the Washington Post amid a scandal stemming from a racist photograph on his medical school yearbook page. “If there are statues, if there monuments out there that provoke this type of hatred and bigotry, they need to be in museums.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Northam is facing calls to resign after a his page from the 1984 yearbook that includes an image of an individual in blackface and another in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood surfaced. Northam, who initially apologized for the photo, later claimed he is neither of the individuals in it but appeared in blackface as Michael Jackson for a dance competition that same year.
In his first sit-down interview since the photo came to light, Northam insisted that he would commit the rest of his three years as governor to the fight for racial equality.
Confederate monuments to pay the price for @RalphNortham‘s blackface scandal
The VA governor vows harder stance against racism after waves of criticism and demands that he resign.https://t.co/3in3cwkFyK
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 10, 2019
Northam signals Confederate monuments stance may be changing. “I will take a harder line. If there are statues, if there monuments out there that provoke this type of hatred and bigotry, they need to be in museums.” https://t.co/xVWY21TqSx
— Patricia Sullivan (@psullivan1) February 9, 2019
After racist photo and calls for his resignation, Northam vows to take down Confederate monuments. https://t.co/6HChBarFi5
— Corey Stewart (@CoreyStewartVA) February 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff just loses it while describing MASSIVE drug trafficking bust
- VIDEO: ‘Bombshell’ report on James Comey coming in two weeks, attorney says
- BREAKING: Twitter CEO called Rep. Ilhan Omar about Trump’s 911 tweet
- POLL: In a 2020 matchup, who would win: Trump or Biden?
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez suffers social media gaffe by criticizing photo of ‘GOP’ politician who is actually a Democrat
- BREAKING: Boston-area judge charged with helping undocumented immigrant elude ICE
- VIDEO: Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh is nowhere to be found, amid FBI raids
- REPORT: First woman elected to lead Dallas County GOP dies unexpectedly at 47
- BREAKING: Outrage erupts over $2M bill from North Korea for Otto Warmbier’s care
- REPORT: FBI, IRS agents search Baltimore Mayor’s homes, City Hall