REPORT: Chicago Police Superintendent fired by mayor
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson was fired Monday a few weeks before his planned retirement — the stunning early dismissal by Mayor Lori Lightfoot issued alongside a stinging rebuke of the city’s former top cop that cited his “ethical lapses” and “intentionally dishonest” answers regarding a controversial October incident.
The ignominious end to Johnson’s tenure comes a few weeks after he announced plans to retire at the end of the year. His decision to leave the job came amid intense scrutiny of an Oct. 17 encounter in which police officers reportedly found Johnson asleep in his car at a stop sign. Lightfoot later said Johnson confessed to her he had “a couple of drinks with dinner” before getting behind the wheel that night, and the incident was still being investigated as of Monday.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Upon a thorough review of the materials of the Inspector General’s ongoing investigation, it has become clear that Mr. Johnson engaged in a series of ethical lapses that are intolerable,” Lightfoot said in a biting statement Monday. “Mr. Johnson was intentionally dishonest with me and communicated a narrative replete with false statements regarding material aspects of the incident that happened in the early morning hours of October 17.”
Lightfoot said that if she had “known all the facts at the time,” she would have “relieved him of his duties as superintendent then and there.”
BREAKING: Chicago police superintendent has been fired ahead of his planned retirement, Chicago mayor announces. https://t.co/0KcVH9yXOB
— NBC News (@NBCNews) December 2, 2019
Mayor Lori Lightfoot has FIRED police superintendent Eddie Johnson for intentionally misleading the public and acting unethically in relation to the night where he was found asleep in his car after drinking.
“Eddie Johnson intentionally lied to me,” she said. pic.twitter.com/wnWtKOTvzU
— Gregory Pratt (@royalpratt) December 2, 2019
BREAKING: Mayor Lori Lightfoot has fired Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson.
She says he “intentionally misled” the people of Chicago after he was found slumped over in his car in October. pic.twitter.com/aVwuqUbzG0
— Tim McNicholas (@TimMcNicholas) December 2, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff ‘highly recommends’ what home owners should do to looters
- OpEd: STONE: Now That I’m Ungagged, I’d Like To Say A Few Things About My Prosecution
- BREAKING: Senate votes on House-passed Paycheck Protection Program reform bill
- VIDEO: 2 NYPD cops shot, another stabbed in neck during ‘unprovoked’ attack
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’
- REPORT: DOJ files formal appeal with Supreme Court over House access to Mueller grand jury material
- EXCLUSIVE: Single mom, physician assistant posts blistering open letter to Gov. Cuomo [READ]
- REPORT: Trump gives Grenell something special after he steps down
- VIDEO: Joe Biden Speaks Up About Suggestions to Abolish ICE
- VIDEO: Looters use FORKLIFT to barge into Best Buy store