REPORT: California GOP opens path to send delegates to 2020 convention even if Trump isn’t on ballot
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
California Republicans approved a rule change Sunday allowing the party to send delegates to the GOP’s national convention next summer even if President Trump isn’t on the state ballot, the Associated Press reported.
The measure came in response to a law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) earlier this year requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns as a prerequisite to appearing on the ballot.
The article goes on to state the following:
Newsom’s bill was seen as a direct attack on Trump, and the state of California has already been sued by the president and the Republican National Committee (RNC).
RNC member Shawn Steel told AP on Sunday that the new measure is a stop-gap move, but emphasized the disclosure rule will be defeated in court.
“It’s just planning ahead,” he said.
The rule change would allow the party to hold a special convention after California’s March 2020 primary and determine the candidate, in this case Trump, and organize delegates to send to the convention.
— The Hill (@thehill) September 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: New sexual misconduct accusation leveled against Kavanaugh, echoes previous allegation
- REPORT: Baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces [PICTURES]
- REPORT: DC flies US flags with 51 stars ahead of statehood hearing
- REPORT: Mike Flynn Is Finally Fighting Back
- REPORT: Pelosi claims to know why multiple Republicans are retiring
- POLL: Do you like MAGA or KAG?
- REPORT: Trooper Attacked, Left With Serious Facial Injuries After Routine Traffic Stop
- VIDEO: Portland crowd boos during on-field Armed Forces swearing-in on 9/11
- REPORT: Even baby boomers are way behind on retirement savings
- BREAKING: Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son