REPORT: Betsy DeVos could face jail after judge’s ruling
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NEWSWEEK.COM:
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has been threatened with the possibility of jail after a judge deemed she was violating a court order for continuing to collect student debts on a now-defunct school.
That ruling, handed down in June of 2018, was made by U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim and prevented DeVos and her Department of Education for going after former students at the bankrupt Corinthian Colleges Inc.
The article goes on to state the following:
However, Kim said she was “astounded” to discover that DeVos was violating the court order at a hearing in San Francisco on Monday after a filing by the Education Department earlier disclosed that more than 16,000 former students at Corinthian College “were incorrectly informed at one time or another … that they had payments due on their federal student loans.”
“I’m not sure if this is contempt or sanctions,” Kim reportedly stated. “I’m not sending anyone to jail yet but it’s good to know I have that ability.”
A federal judge has ruled that @BetsyDeVos is in contempt of the court after DeVos and Trump’s Education Department got caught stealing wages from former students of Corinthian College, a fraudulent for-profit school run by DeVos’ friends. #Kakistocracyhttps://t.co/mESeXuILuT
— Democratic Coalition (@TheDemCoalition) October 8, 2019
“I’m not sure if this is contempt or sanctions,” she added. “I’m not sending anyone to jail yet but it’s good to know I have that ability.” – U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kimhttps://t.co/lesegVshny
— Scott Nevins (@ScottNevins) October 8, 2019
Betsy DeVos Could Face Jail After Judge Rules She Violated 2018 Order on Student Loans https://t.co/8vouMuxHNb
— Newsweek (@Newsweek) October 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NEWSWEEK.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting NEWSWEEK.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Tulsi Gabbard’s Husband Shares Powerful Photo Reminding People Where Her Loyalties Lie
- BREAKING: GOP congressman who is considering Trump impeachment announces retirement [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton pulls out of women’s event after learning who else was going to speak
- EXCLUSIVE: Identity revealed of wounded veteran who Trump saluted at Texas rally [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
- REPORT: Commentator says Elijah Cummings death was God’s revenge for taking on Trump
- VIDEO: 2016 Trump GOP Challenger Comes Out for Impeachment; The Left Reacts
- REPORT: Barbra Streisand shares VIOLENT cartoon of Pelosi and Trump
- BREAKING: Trump makes major announcement about Doral resort hosting G-7
- POLL: Should Fox News bring Megyn Kelly back to their network?
- EXCLUSIVE: Obama ambassador being investigated for monitoring Trump allies, journalists