REPORT: Betsy DeVos could face jail after judge’s ruling
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NEWSWEEK.COM:
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has been threatened with the possibility of jail after a judge deemed she was violating a court order for continuing to collect student debts on a now-defunct school.
That ruling, handed down in June of 2018, was made by U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim and prevented DeVos and her Department of Education for going after former students at the bankrupt Corinthian Colleges Inc.
The article goes on to state the following:
However, Kim said she was “astounded” to discover that DeVos was violating the court order at a hearing in San Francisco on Monday after a filing by the Education Department earlier disclosed that more than 16,000 former students at Corinthian College “were incorrectly informed at one time or another … that they had payments due on their federal student loans.”
“I’m not sure if this is contempt or sanctions,” Kim reportedly stated. “I’m not sending anyone to jail yet but it’s good to know I have that ability.”
A federal judge has ruled that @BetsyDeVos is in contempt of the court after DeVos and Trump’s Education Department got caught stealing wages from former students of Corinthian College, a fraudulent for-profit school run by DeVos’ friends. #Kakistocracyhttps://t.co/mESeXuILuT
— Democratic Coalition (@TheDemCoalition) October 8, 2019
“I’m not sure if this is contempt or sanctions,” she added. “I’m not sending anyone to jail yet but it’s good to know I have that ability.” – U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kimhttps://t.co/lesegVshny
— Scott Nevins (@ScottNevins) October 8, 2019
Betsy DeVos Could Face Jail After Judge Rules She Violated 2018 Order on Student Loans https://t.co/8vouMuxHNb
— Newsweek (@Newsweek) October 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NEWSWEEK.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting NEWSWEEK.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: GOP Senator: If Local Law Enforcement Overwhelmed, Let’s See How Anarchists Respond When the 101st Airborne Is on the Other Side of the Street
- REPORT: Viral photo shows cop being protected by black protesters during riot
- POLL: Should the U.S. military be sent to major cities to stop riots?
- VIDEO: Officer suspended after punching woman who was beating on fellow officer
- REPORT: Dozens rendered unconscious by Minneapolis police neckholds in past five years
- VIDEO: Some police officers support protesters by taking a knee
- REPORT: Cuomo calls for independent investigations into all police brutality allegations
- VIDEO: Keith Ellison responds to son’s Antifa tweet
- REPORT: 25-year-old arrested for allegedly setting fire to historic courthouse
- REPORT: Actress Hopeful After Protesters Breach Perimeter Near White House