REPORT: Beto O’Rourke calls for legalizing marijuana following announcement
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NYPost.com:
Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke on Thursday called for ending the “federal prohibition on marijuana” because of the way US drug laws disproportionately put minorities in prison. O’Rourke, a Texas Democrat who announced earlier Thursday that he was entering the race, said people across the country use drugs at the same rate.
“We can free ourselves from the distinction of being the country that imprisons more of its citizens than any other country on the face of the planet,” he told a group of diners at a restaurant in Keokuk, Iowa. “And guess what: by and large they do not look like this room. They are browner and blacker than most of America. Only some face arrest, faced imprisonment, and when they get out forced to check a box that says they have a conviction which diminishes their opportunities in life to hold a job, to raise a family to get a loan, to be successful.”
To get more information about this article, please visit NYPost.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting NYPost.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Freshman Dem lawmaker argues with Ben Carson during hearing
- BREAKING: Judge decides if Deutsche Bank, Capital One can give Trump financial records to Democrats
- BREAKING: Furious Trump cuts-off talks with Dems, responds to Pelosi’s ‘cover-up’ claim in fiery announcement [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
- TRUMP TWEETS: Blasts out statement to Dems, ‘thanks’ Pelosi for her ‘prayers’
- POLL: Dems unleash on Trump – Can his presidency survive?
- BREAKING: Two banks have turned Trump’s financial records over to House
- BREAKING: Pelosi speaks after closed-door Dem meeting, makes allegation against Trump [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Trump Surging in Key State; Tops Every Democrat in New SHOCK Poll
- BREAKING: House Intel postpones enforcement action after DOJ offer to share some Mueller files