REPORT: ANALYSIS: Comey may not be off the hook in FISA investigation
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information written by Jerry Dunleavy and published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz has already harshly criticized James Comey in two high-profile investigations, so the watchdog’s impending report on abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act could spell trouble for the former FBI director.
Comey handled the FBI’s criminal investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s illicit private email server and her mishandling of classified information, while simultaneously leading the bureau’s counterintelligence inquiry into alleged ties between the Russian government and Trump’s campaign.
The article goes on to state the following:
Horowitz released a report on the Clinton investigation in the summer of 2018, criticizing Comey for usurping authority that wasn’t his. His August report discussed one aspect of the Trump-Russia investigation — Comey’s mishandling of his memos of conversations with Trump and leaking of information on General Mike Flynn. Both reports were unsparing in their critiques of Comey’s tendency to violate DOJ and FBI policies and to act on his feelings instead.
“We have previously faulted Comey for acting unilaterally and inconsistent with Department policy,” Horowitz wrote last month. “Comey’s unauthorized disclosure of sensitive law enforcement information about the Flynn investigation merits similar criticism.”
There’s little reason to believe Horowitz’s next report won’t be as bad or worse for Comey. Since 2018, Horowitz has been reviewing the FISA surveillance warrants targeting former Trump campaign associate Carter Page, and the watchdog is likely scrutinizing every aspect of the FISA approval process, including the FBI’s extensive use of an unverified dossier compiled by British ex-spy Christopher Steele through funding from the Clinton campaign. The head of the FBI plays an integral role in the FISA process — Comey signed and approved three of the four FISA warrant applications and renewals.
To READ MORE of this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: New sexual misconduct accusation leveled against Kavanaugh, echoes previous allegation
- REPORT: Baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces [PICTURES]
- REPORT: DC flies US flags with 51 stars ahead of statehood hearing
- REPORT: Mike Flynn Is Finally Fighting Back
- POLL: Do you like MAGA or KAG?
- REPORT: Trooper Attacked, Left With Serious Facial Injuries After Routine Traffic Stop
- VIDEO: Portland crowd boos during on-field Armed Forces swearing-in on 9/11
- BREAKING: Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son
- VIDEO: Horrifying Attack Unfolds On Man In Ilhan Omar’s District
- REPORT: Morning Joe’s Mika suggests Trump isn’t Barron’s father