REPORT: Aide for 2020 Dem Candidate Offered Money for Endorsements
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by BREITBART.COM:
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A top aide to Democratic presidential candidate Tom Steyer in Iowa has privately offered campaign contributions to local politicians in exchange for endorsing his White House bid, according to multiple people with direct knowledge of the conversations.
The overtures from Pat Murphy, a former state House speaker who is serving as a top adviser on Steyer’s Iowa campaign, aren’t illegal — though payments for endorsements would violate campaign finance laws if not disclosed. There’s no evidence that any Iowans accepted the offer or received contributions from Steyer’s campaign as compensation for their backing.
The article goes on to state the following:
But the proposals could revive criticism that the billionaire Steyer is trying to buy his way into the White House. Several state lawmakers and political candidates said they were surprised Steyer’s campaign would think he could buy their support.
According to the Associated Press, a former Democratic state senator from Iowa was put off by the offer.
Tom Courtney, a who’s running for reelection to his old seat, said it “left a bad taste in my mouth.”
Several other local politicians said they received similar propositions from Murphy.
Steyer’s campaign press secretary Alberto Lammers said Murphy had not been authorized to make the offers and that the campaign was unaware he was doing so.
New: A top aide to Tom Steyer in Iowa has privately offered local politicians campaign contributions in exchange for endorsing his White House bid. Multiple current & former lawmakers told me Pat Murphy, Steyer’s IA sr adviser, made the offer. https://t.co/kfZHogqets
— Alexandra Jaffe (@ajjaffe) November 7, 2019
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) November 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit BREITBART.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting BREITBART.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Head of Burisma Holdings Indicted; New Links to Obama, Hunter Biden Revealed
- VIDEO: Prince Andrew’s ex speaks out on Epstein
- BREAKING: Rick Perry’s team pushes back on Sondland testimony, releases statement
- POLL: Was Gordon Sondland’s testimony damaging to President Trump?
- BREAKING: Britain’s Prince Andrew steps down from public duties, citing Epstein ties
- REPORT: Pence’s office responds to Sondland’s testimony claiming he raised concerns about investigations
- VIDEO: Fox News host declares Sondland ‘took out the bus and ran over’ Trump
- REPORT: Photo emerges of alleged whistleblower shaking hands with Barack Obama in Oval Office [PHOTO]
- VIDEO: Rep Turner Gets Witness To Correct Bombshell Claim, Debunks CNN Headline In Real Time
- Morning briefing: Nov 20