POLL: Do you support releasing prisoners and ICE detainees to ‘protect’ them from COVID-19?
Soon after the coronavirus pandemic began to escalate across the United States, a new movement has grown to empty jails, prisons and ICE detention centers, in order to “protect” those being held from the deadly disesase.
Tuesday evening, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he will immediately release 300 inmates from Rikers Island who were convicted of misdemeanors or some nonviolent crimes and have less than one year remaining in their sentence.
De Blasio also said he’s working with other state officials to release about 100 others who are awaiting trial in city jails and around 700 people who were in jail on parole violations.
“No one over 70 or with pre-existing conditions should be in our jail system right now and we are working to make that a reality,” he declared.
A number of Democrat lawmakers have echoed the call to set prisoners free, along with illegal aliens being held in ICE detention centers. Additionally, some have demanded that all deportations be stopped.
This week, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) sent a letter signed by several Democrats to DHS, asking the administration to protect the immigrant community and detained illegal aliens from COVID-19. Among their demands: a “moratorium” on all immigration arrests of individuals who pose no public safety risk and a release of as “many immigrants as possible” from detention.
Somalian refugee Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) sent another letter demanding a total halt of all deportations. Additionally, Omar declared on Tuesday that DHS must “release ICE detainees, people held on bail, and anyone qualifies for work release,” along with “a moratorium on incarcerating people who are low risk to others.”
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION! Is this really about protecting inmates and detainees from the coronavirus? Do you support releasing prisoners and ICE detainees to ‘protect’ them from COVID-19?
Trending on DML News App
- UPDATE: Gov. Cuomo speaks on brother’s coronavirus diagnosis
- BREAKING: Appeals Court issues ruling on Texas abortion ban during COVID-19 pandemic
- REPORT: Stunning graphs predict when COVID-19 deaths, needs will peak in every state
- TRUMP TWEET: Taunts Nancy Pelosi about MSNBC interview [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Rachel Maddow’s attempt to slam Trump over hospital ships backfires
- Submit News
- REPORT: California emergency manager is caught sunbathing on an empty beach
- VIDEO: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addresses the press amid Trump impeachment inquiry
- REPORT: Obama lashes out after administration rollback of emission standards as Trump praises move
- VIDEO: Elderly woman dies after being assaulted at hospital for violating coronavirus social distancing