POLL: Should Chuck Schumer be removed from the Senate over SCOTUS remarks?
President Trump claimed Wednesday that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. was not protected by congressional “immunity” when he made threatening comments toward Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh at a pro-abortion rally outside the court, suggesting that Schumer was in line for some kind of punishment.
Trump told Fox News that he had wanted to sue Schiff, but was told the Democratic lawmaker was immune from any litigation. “Schumer did it outside on the streets in front of a rough crowd,” Trump noted. “It was a disgrace to the Supreme Court and to the U.S. Senate.”
“As far as Schumer is concerned, it was a terrible thing he said. I was amazed by it and if that were a Republican you would see really bad things happening,” the president went on. “It is very unequal justice, and it is a disgrace that he was able to say something like that.”
“He wasn’t shielded by the halls of Congress like Schiff was when he lied about my phone call,” the president continued.
Schumer made the comment earlier Wednesday during a rally hosted by the Center for Reproductive Rights. At the time, the justices were hearing a case challenging to a Louisiana law requiring doctors performing abortions to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.
“I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price!” Schumer warned. “You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.”
Later in the evening, Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts Jr. issued a rare and stern rebuke of the 69-year-old Democratic leader.
“Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous. All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter,” Roberts said in a statement obtained by Fox News.
Should the senator from New York, Chuck Schumer be removed from his position in Congress?
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Lindsey Graham predicts Biden’s vice presidential pick
- VIDEO: Kayleigh McEnany responds to reports she voted by mail 11 times
- POLL: Do you support Trump’s executive order to crack down on social media giants? [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Retired INS agent rips into Governor Cuomo, reveals corruption over nursing home deaths [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy minces no words as he weighs in on George Floyd death
- VIDEO: Dozens arrested at wild NYC protest over death of George Floyd
- VIDEO: Professor who predicted Trump’s 2016 win explains who he thinks will win between Trump/Biden
- REPORT: Probe: Senior Trump admin official used office for personal gain, investigators say
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton launches accusation at Trump about ‘calling for violence’
- REPORT: Michael Moore makes incredible suggestion to show repentance to ‘black America’ after Floyd killing