POLL: Was Attorney General Bill Barr right to intervene in the Roger Stone case?
Democrats have reacted in fury against Attorney General William Barr after he stepped in to intervene this week when prosecutors recommending a prison sentence of up to 9 years for former Trump associate Roger Stone.
Stone had been convicted on seven counts of obstruction, witness tampering, and making false statements to Congress on charges that stemmed from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
Attorney General William Barr stepped in, saying that was “extreme, excessive, and grossly disproportionate to the offenses.”
President Trump loudly condemned the sentence recommendation as well, prompting accusations from the left that the president had influenced Barr’s decision.
Calls for Barr’s ouster poured in. Sen. Elizabeth Warren declared that if “that guy won’t resign, then the House should start impeachment proceedings against him.”
Barr spoke out in an interview on Thursday, scolding Trump for tweeting about the Roger Stone case.
“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC in the interview.
“Tweets made about people in the department, cases pending in the department, make it impossible for me to do my job, to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we are doing our job with integrity. I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me,” he added.
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION! Was Attorney General Bill Barr right to intervene in the Roger Stone case?
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: New survey reveals chances of a Sanders-Warren ticket
- VIDEO: Karl Rove: ‘Not so fast’ on narrative that Bernie Sanders is the front-runner
- VIDEO: McCarthy weighs in on socialism in the 2020 race
- VIDEO: Trump wants top Democrat investigated for leak of Russia briefing
- VIDEO: Trump administration rule to restrict green cards for welfare-reliant immigrants takes effect
- EXCLUSIVE: Clinton accuser Juanita Broaddrick issues statement on Weinstein verdict
- WATCH: Amazing takedown of suspect by K9 cop
- VIDEO: Pelosi takes to the streets in San Francisco. Here’s why
- BREAKING: Harvey Weinstein rerouted to hospital on way to jail
- VIDEO: Black, gay Republican blasts Jussie Smollett for hate crime hoax