POLL: Was Attorney General Bill Barr right to intervene in the Roger Stone case?
Democrats have reacted in fury against Attorney General William Barr after he stepped in to intervene this week when prosecutors recommending a prison sentence of up to 9 years for former Trump associate Roger Stone.
Stone had been convicted on seven counts of obstruction, witness tampering, and making false statements to Congress on charges that stemmed from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
Attorney General William Barr stepped in, saying that was “extreme, excessive, and grossly disproportionate to the offenses.”
President Trump loudly condemned the sentence recommendation as well, prompting accusations from the left that the president had influenced Barr’s decision.
Calls for Barr’s ouster poured in. Sen. Elizabeth Warren declared that if “that guy won’t resign, then the House should start impeachment proceedings against him.”
Barr spoke out in an interview on Thursday, scolding Trump for tweeting about the Roger Stone case.
“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC in the interview.
“Tweets made about people in the department, cases pending in the department, make it impossible for me to do my job, to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we are doing our job with integrity. I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me,” he added.
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION! Was Attorney General Bill Barr right to intervene in the Roger Stone case?
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff ‘highly recommends’ what home owners should do to looters
- VIDEO: Ted Cruz torches Rosenstein on Russia probe in blistering grilling
- VIDEO: 2 NYPD cops shot, another stabbed in neck during ‘unprovoked’ attack
- REPORT: Democrat senator calls for Barr to resign over order to clear protests
- REPORT: Florida city becomes first to ban gun sales and carry during ’emergency declaration’
- REPORT: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to NFL team, ‘Change your name’
- BREAKING: Pelosi says House will soon announce sweeping police reform legislation
- EXCLUSIVE: Single mom, physician assistant posts blistering open letter to Gov. Cuomo [READ]
- OpEd: STONE: Now That I’m Ungagged, I’d Like To Say A Few Things About My Prosecution