POLL: Do you agree with Trump’s new crackdown on immigrants using welfare?
The Trump administration announced Monday that immigrants seeking to become a legal permanent resident of the United States of America need to be able to stand on their own two feet.
Therefore, those who have used Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance may have a difficult time obtaining a green card or visa.
“We certainly expect people of any income to be able to stand on their own two feet. If people are not able to be self-sufficient, then this negative factor is going to bear very heavily against them in a decision about whether they’ll be able to become a legal permanent resident,” acting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Ken Cuccinelli said on Monday.
The new rule is scheduled to take effect in mid-October. However, there are several exceptions. The Associated Press reported:
Women who are pregnant and on Medicaid or who need public assistance will not be subject to the new rules during pregnancy or for 60 days after giving birth. The Medicare Part D low-income subsidy also won’t be considered a public benefit. And benefits received by children until the age of 21 won’t be considered. Nor will emergency medical assistance, school lunch programs, foster care or adoption, student loans and mortgages, food pantries, homeless shelters or disaster relief.
Active U.S. military members are also exempt, as are refugees and asylum seekers.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Do you agree with Trump’s new crackdown on immigrants using welfare?
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Justice Department inspector general reportedly completes FISA abuse investigation [VIDEO]
- REPORT: White House is irritated over Nikki Haley’s mysterious tweet
- VIDEO: Susan Boyle performs ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ a Decade After Famed Audition
- REPORT: NFL player found dead along with wife, son sought by police
- REPORT: One Of Kavanaugh’s High School Classmates Is Suing HuffPost For ‘Fabricated’ Reporting
- REPORT: Tlaib’s response to bombing death of 17-yr-old Israeli girl sparks outrage
- REPORT: Border Patrol busts woman with over $20K worth of fentanyl in her underwear
- REPORT: Omar lashes out in Twitter rant after Nadler criticizes her for sharing controversial cartoon
- REPORT: Pelosi again breaks with Democrats on impeachment
- REPORT: Details emerge of Epstein’s ‘madam’ making secret visits to Buckingham Palace