OpEd: Rep. Chip Roy: California’s homeless crisis could be migrating to southern state – Here’s how to tackle it
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following OpEd written by Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) and published by FOXNEWS.COM:
In my hometown, the phrase “Keep Austin Weird,” popularized on T-shirts and bumper stickers, symbolizes the funky, and historically offbeat, culture of the people and businesses of Texas’ capital city. But over the past several months, an ordinance approved by the Austin City Council and defended by Mayor Steve Adler has produced “tent cities” for the homeless and a surge in violent crime.
As droves of Californians move to Texas for jobs, it appears they and their values are turning parts of Austin from merely “weird” to potentially dangerous mirror images of failed California cities.
The article goes on to state the following:
Beginning last July, the city implemented a new policy allowing homeless people to sleep and camp in public spaces. To be clear, we should do all we can in our community to make sure everyone has a home. But this policy does nothing to address the growing problem of housing affordability in Austin, has endangered the community, and is a bandaid approach that actually perpetuates homelessness.
Roy suggested that city officials and community organizations unite to provide people with access to temporary shelters, mental health care, and social services, for both short-term and long-term situations.
The homeless crisis in the US is overwhelming communities and resources, but a powerful documentary on the subject offers real solutions. The film is unique, with scenes and information you’ve never seen — and won’t ever see — anywhere else. You don’t REALLY understand the issue until you’ve seen “United States of Tents.”
“United States of Tents” is SKYROCKETING in popularity – here’s a sneak peek!
(CLICK HERE to find out how you can get a FREE DVD of this powerful documentary!)
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- WHY DO THIS TO TRUMP? Fox News Poll reveals anti-Trump sentiment
- GOT TO SEE: Joy Villa shocks liberals with Pro-Trump dress at Grammys
- HYPOCRISY: Dems seeking to impeach Trump for blocking aid to Ukraine, voted against the same thing
- VIDEO: Schiff scoffs at GOP calls for his testimony in impeachment trial
- REPORT: Schiff fires back at Trump: ‘What are you hiding?’
- VIDEO: Schiff says Trump tweet is ‘intended to be’ a threat
- REPORT: Trump rips Chuck Todd for ‘softball’ Schiff interview
- VIDEO: Dershowitz speaks out on case Democrats laid out in Senate trial
- REPORT: 2020 hopeful celebrates after qualifying poll puts him back on Democratic debate stage
- UPDATE: FIFTH coronavirus case now confirmed in US; infection can spread before symptoms show