OpEd: How New Zealand’s gun laws compare to the States’
The terrorist attack at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that left more than 49 people dead and scores of others wounded has evoked a lot of emotion and debate in the United States about how government can effectively reduce the amount of gun violence in schools and places of worship.
New Zealand’s laws put more restrictions on guns than the United States does, on average, considering there are different laws in each state. The OpED goes on to state the following:
All gun owners must have a license to carry in New Zealand, but not all firearms have to be registered. Criminal background checks are mandatory, and factor in mental health, addiction, and domestic violence in one’s history. Law enforcement has the final say in whether a private citizen can own a firearm, but they cannot issue a firearm if personal protection is the reason for purchase.
Additionally, New Zealand prohibits open carry, concealed carry, and carrying without a permit. Fully automatic firearm permits may be issued, but certain types of semi-automatic weapons and shotguns are classified as military-style semi-automatic weapons and thus require a particular license in order to obtain.
In short, New Zealand’s laws are on par with most of the stricter U.S. states.
To get more information about this OpEd, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Remains found in Oregon believed to be missing “Seinfeld” actor
- REPORT: The Border Wall Fight Just Got To The Supreme Court
- VIDEO: Area 51 expert warns what could happen if social media campaign to ‘storm’ top-secret site occurs
- REPORT: Presidential candidate tells House Dems to ‘f–k off’ after attack on AOC’s ally
- BREAKING: Prosecutors reveal more items discovered in Jeffrey Epstein’s locked safe, including fake passport
- TWEET: Trump doubles down after telling Democratic congresswomen to ‘go back’ to their countries
- BREAKING: Trump moves to end asylum protections for most Central Americans
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham weighs in on Trump feud with congresswomen, Trump responds
- BREAKING: Pelosi announces House resolution to condemn Trump’s ‘xenophobic tweets’
- VIDEO: Trump gets into fiery exchange with reporters over tweets against Dem congresswomen