OpEd: How New Zealand’s gun laws compare to the States’
The terrorist attack at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that left more than 49 people dead and scores of others wounded has evoked a lot of emotion and debate in the United States about how government can effectively reduce the amount of gun violence in schools and places of worship.
New Zealand’s laws put more restrictions on guns than the United States does, on average, considering there are different laws in each state. The OpED goes on to state the following:
All gun owners must have a license to carry in New Zealand, but not all firearms have to be registered. Criminal background checks are mandatory, and factor in mental health, addiction, and domestic violence in one’s history. Law enforcement has the final say in whether a private citizen can own a firearm, but they cannot issue a firearm if personal protection is the reason for purchase.
Additionally, New Zealand prohibits open carry, concealed carry, and carrying without a permit. Fully automatic firearm permits may be issued, but certain types of semi-automatic weapons and shotguns are classified as military-style semi-automatic weapons and thus require a particular license in order to obtain.
In short, New Zealand’s laws are on par with most of the stricter U.S. states.
To get more information about this OpEd, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Supreme Court conservatives signal possible support for census citizenship question
- VIDEO: Woman missing for five days is found alive in her wrecked car
- REPORT: Jacqui Saburido, who became the face of anti-drunk driving campaigns, dead at age 40 [VIDEOS]
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton breaks her silence on Mueller report, discusses potential Trump impeachment
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar claims US forces killed ‘thousands’ of Somalis in resurfaced tweet
- REPORT: US military reviewing rules after soldiers on American soil surrendered pistol to Mexican troops
- REPORT: Jordan demands answers over Democrats’ secret meetings about Trump-focused probes
- REPORT: State debating bill to ban ‘sanctuary city’ policies; ACLU warns people not to travel there if it passes
- BREAKING: Militia leader allegedly said group was ‘training’ to kill Obama, Clinton, and Soros
- VIDEO: Piers Morgan has a message for Democrats wanting to impeach Trump