Op-Ed: Mainstream Democrats Are Signing On To A 65 Percent Tax Rate
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following opinion editorial written by political analyst Andrew Wilford and published by DAILYCALLER.COM:
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made headlines for endorsing a top income tax rate of 70 percent. The young Democratic socialist claimed this would offer a path forward to pay for pricey items such as the “Green New Deal” and Medicare for all.
What she and other adherents of the “soak the rich” philosophy seldom disclose is such tactics rarely raise the amount of revenue they assume, and even if they did, it wouldn’t come close to covering the full costs of tens of trillions in new spending.
The article goes on to state the following:
This is why it is remarkable that 200 Democrats have signed on new legislation that imposes the tax burden required to fund expanded retirement benefits on every working American. This bill would effectively create a top combined income, payroll, and investment tax rate of 65.6 percent to pay for Social Security’s solvency.
Introduced by Democratic Reps. John Larson Conor Lamb and Jahana Hayes, the legislation would phase in a combined OASDI (Social Security) payroll tax rate that would reach14.8 percent, up from today’s 12.4 percent.
In contrast to the left’s rhetoric that tax increases would only fall on plutocrats, the payroll tax is paid in every paycheck by every single person with a job. The bill’s sponsors seek to hike this tax because they know that there’s just not enough money in “wealthy-only” tax increases.
Combined with the current top federal income tax rate (37 percent), Medicare payroll tax (2.9 percent), and top state income tax rate (California’s, 13.3 percent), that adds up to a combined top marginal rate of 65.6 percent faced by some high-income Americans.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more of this opinion editorial.
Mainstream Democrats are signing on to a 65 percent tax rate in efforts to pay for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s wish list.
— Daily Caller Opinion (@TheDC_Opinion) February 9, 2019
— John Larson (@JohnLarsonCT) February 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit DAILYCALLER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting DAILYCALLER.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: America’s First Two Muslim Congresswomen Will BOTH Be Fundraising For Hamas-Linked Organization
- VIDEO: Meghan McCain stuns Andrew McCabe on ‘The View’ with pointed question
- VIDEO: Gillibrand voices support for federal recognition of third gender
- REPORT: How the winners of New York Lottery’s biggest jackpot were able to stay anonymous
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ show takes first steps against Jussie Smollett after attack claim controversy
- BREAKING: Obama-nominated judge deals blow to Obama’s presidential library plans
- REPORT: Prosecutor recuses herself from Jussie Smollett investigation
- VIDEO: McCabe claims ‘Gang of 8’ knew of counterintelligence investigation of Trump
- VIDEO: ISIS teen wife bemoans UK’s ‘unjust’ decision to revoke her citizenship
- VIDEO: Kamala Harris gives awkward response when asked about Jussie Smollett claims