Morning Briefing: May 20
Today is May 20, and this is your morning briefing from DMLNews:
1. Senator calls for withholding stimulus funds from states, cities, where illegal aliens get payments. Fox News reports:
Senate Armed Services Committee member Tom Cotton, R-Ark., joined “Hannity” Tuesday to discuss his proposed legislation that would prevent the federal government from sending taxpayer-funded stimulus dollars to states or cities that issue payments to people in the U.S. illegally.
“We shouldn’t be spending hard-earned taxpayer dollars on illegal immigrants at a time when 35 million Americans are out of work,” Cotton said. “If we are going to be giving relief checks to those people who are out of work, we need to focus on American citizens, not illegal immigrants.”
Under Cotton’s No Bailouts for Illegal Aliens Act, states or cities must certify that illegal aliens are not receiving coronavirus stimulus checks or other payments. State and city governments that refuse to comply with the certification requirements will not be eligible for funds from the CARES Act.
2. Obama would beat Trump in head-to-head poll. The Hill reports:
Former President Barack Obama would beat current President Donald Trump in a head-to-head matchup if an election was held today, according to a new poll released Wednesday.
The Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey obtained by Politico showed that 54 percent of respondents would vote for Obama and 43 percent would vote for Trump if the candidates faced each other now. Only 3 percent of respondents were unsure.
DMLNews: Now even the media is promoting this as Obama vs. Trump. DML told you this is what this race was going to be about!
3. Trump threatens to withhold funding from Michigan. The Hill reports:
President Trump on Wednesday threatened to withhold federal funding to Michigan after its secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson (D), announced all of the state’s registered voters would receive applications for absentee ballots in the mail this year.
“Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election,” Trump tweeted Wednesday morning. “This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!”
DMLNews: Michigan governor is trying to topple over Trump!
4. Trump administration indefinitely extends US border restrictions, citing coronavirus. ABC News reports:
Citing concerns over the continued spread of COVID-19, the Trump administration announced the indefinite extension of a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention order which allows federal authorities at the U.S. border to immediately return unauthorized migrants to their home countries.
“The entire country has mobilized to save lives by limiting face-to-face contact and reserving medical and health care resources for those who need them most,” CDC Director Robert Redfield wrote in the order. “At a time when these domestic efforts are ongoing and effective, it would be counterproductive and dangerous to undermine those efforts by permitting the introduction of persons from outside the United States who pose a risk of transmission of COVID-19 within (Homeland Security) facilities or the U.S. interior.”
The order from Redfield will remain in effect, “until the CDC Director determines that the danger of further introduction of COVID-19 into the United States” no longer posses a risk to public health. The CDC said it plans to review the decision every 30 days.
DMLNews: Keep it in place!
5. Jimmy Kimmel claims Trump trying to kill himself. The Washington Examiner reports:
Late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel joked that the only plausible explanation for why President Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine is because he is suicidal.
Trump revealed earlier this week that he’s taking hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malarial medication that has not been proven to prevent or treat the coronavirus. The president has frequently promoted the medication during the pandemic because it has shown promising signs of being able to treat COVID-19, but the medical experts working with the administration’s response team have been hesitant to do the same.
“I thought about it for a long time last night. I have come to what I think is the only reasonable conclusion. He’s trying to kill himself. Remember how we all said he didn’t really want to be president? He wished he was at home, at Mar-a-Lago playing golf, and finding ways to humiliate his friends? That he’s miserable in the White House? Well, guess what? I think we were right. And I think he’s had enough,” Kimmel said Tuesday night.
DMLNews: Shame on Kimmel! (Check out www.dmlcbd.com!)
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Court blocks White House from suspending reporter for INCREDIBLE reason
- REPORT: Couple suspected of killing 8-year-old maid
- WATCH: Stunning moment Washington Monument struck by lightning, 2 park police also injured
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton asks appeals court to help her dodge Judicial Watch deposition on emails and Benghazi
- BREAKING: Biden releases statement, formally clinches Democratic presidential nomination
- REPORT: AOC stuns party by endorsing powerful incumbent’s primary rival
- REPORT: Dem AG: Letting America Burn Is the Path to Growth
- REPORT: Liberal governor pardons illegal set for deportation, DML responds
- VIDEO: Biden mistakenly refers to Sanders as ‘the president’ during debate
- REPORT: Democrats ask for investigation of DOJ decision to drop Flynn case [READ LETTER]