JUST IN: Former ‘Apprentice’ contestant’s lawsuit against Trump can proceed
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
An appellate court in New York has rejected President Donald Trump’s assertion that a sitting president cannot be sued in state court — a ruling stemming from a defamation lawsuit filed by a former “The Apprentice” contestant who accused the president of groping and kissing her in 2007.
Summer Zervos’ lawsuit is now allowed to proceed with the prospect of the president having to sit for a deposition.
The article goes on to state the following:
“We reject defendant President Trump’s argument that the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution prevents a New York State court — and every other state court in the country — from exercising its authority under its state constitution,” the court said in a statement. “Instead, we find that the Supremacy Clause was never intended to deprive a state court of its authority to decide cases and controversies under the state’s constitution.”
Zervos’ attorney Marianne Wang said her client was “very pleased” that court ruled that Trump is “not above the law,” stating:
“We look forward to proving to a jury that Ms. Zervos told the truth about Defendant’s unwanted sexual groping and holding him accountable for his malicious lies.”
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Freshman Dem lawmaker argues with Ben Carson during hearing
- BREAKING: Judge decides if Deutsche Bank, Capital One can give Trump financial records to Democrats
- BREAKING: Furious Trump cuts-off talks with Dems, responds to Pelosi’s ‘cover-up’ claim in fiery announcement [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
- TRUMP TWEETS: Blasts out statement to Dems, ‘thanks’ Pelosi for her ‘prayers’
- POLL: Dems unleash on Trump – Can his presidency survive?
- BREAKING: Two banks have turned Trump’s financial records over to House
- BREAKING: Pelosi speaks after closed-door Dem meeting, makes allegation against Trump [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Trump Surging in Key State; Tops Every Democrat in New SHOCK Poll
- BREAKING: House Intel postpones enforcement action after DOJ offer to share some Mueller files