EXCLUSIVE: RNC reacts to news of Trump 2020 GOP challenger
William Weld, former governor of Massachusetts, made a Monday announcement officially entering the 2020 presidential race as a Republican challenger to President Donald Trump.
“I’m in! #Weld2020.” Weld tweeted Monday afternoon.
In response, a Republican National Committee spokesperson said, “The RNC and the Republican Party are firmly behind the president. Any effort to challenge the president’s nomination is bound to go absolutely nowhere,” according to a tweet from Joe Perticone, politics reporter Business Insider.
CNBC further reports that a spokesman for the RNC was “dismissive of Weld’s challenge.”
“President Trump enjoys unprecedented support among Republicans,” CNBC reports the spokesperson as saying. “He has already delivered a long list of incredible accomplishments for conservatives and the country. The RNC and the Republican Party are firmly behind the president.”
“Any effort to challenge the president’s nomination is bound to go absolutely nowhere,” the spokesman concluded.
Weld is headed to New Hampshire on Tuesday to start two days of campaigning.
RNC on Bill Weld challenging Trump: “The RNC and the Republican Party are firmly behind the president. Any effort to challenge the president’s nomination is bound to go absolutely nowhere”
— Joe Perticone (@JoePerticone) April 15, 2019
Former Gov. Weld announced today he will challenge President Trump in 2020. Pretty immediate response from @GOP spokesperson: “The RNC and the Republican Party are firmly behind the president. Any effort to challenge the president’s nomination is bound to go absolutely nowhere.”
— Monica Alba (@albamonica) April 15, 2019
— Gov. Bill Weld (@GovBillWeld) April 15, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit CNBC. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting CNBC
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Supreme Court conservatives signal possible support for census citizenship question
- REPORT: FBI found Hillary Clinton’s emails in Obama White House, former top official says
- VIDEO: Woman missing for five days is found alive in her wrecked car
- REPORT: State debating bill to ban ‘sanctuary city’ policies; ACLU warns people not to travel there if it passes
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton breaks her silence on Mueller report, discusses potential Trump impeachment
- REPORT: Jacqui Saburido, who became the face of anti-drunk driving campaigns, dead at age 40 [VIDEOS]
- REPORT: Jordan demands answers over Democrats’ secret meetings about Trump-focused probes
- REPORT: Judge to block Trump administration’s rules targeting Planned Parenthood
- VIDEO: Piers Morgan has a message for Democrats wanting to impeach Trump
- REPORT: After Girl Held as ‘Slave’ for 16 Years in Texas, Captors Mohamed Toure and Wife get Light Sentence