EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer had a scheduled meeting with President Trump at the White House on infrastructure Wednesday morning that ended in an explosive firestorm.
Prior to the meeting, Pelosi held a meeting behind closed doors with other Democrats, who have been demanding that impeachment proceedings be implemented. Upon exiting the meeting, Pelosi told reporters, “We believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover up.”
Pelosi and Schumer then went immediately to the White House, where a furious President Trump tore into Pelosi over her “cover-up” claim and announced that no infrastructure negotiations can take place until Democrats end their “phony investigation.”
President Trump then held a fiery press conference where he denounced Pelosi’s “cover-up” allegations.
Following Trump’s address, Pelosi, Schumer and other Democrat leaders held their own press conference.
“This morning we went to the White House for a follow-up meeting with the president,” Pelosi explained, saying they were prepared to discuss how they would cover the costs of their infrastructure proposal.
She claimed they went to the meeting “in the spirit of bipartisanship”, being “hopeful and optimistic.”
“He came into the room, made a statement that he made, I won’t even characterize it,” she declared.
“We had hoped that we could give this president an opportunity to have a signature infrastructure initiative, to create jobs, to improve the quality of life, to do so much for our country,” Pelosi said.
“For some reason – maybe it was lack of confidence on his part that he couldn’t match the greatness of the challenge we have, wasn’t really respectful of the Congress and the White House working together… he just took a pass, and it just makes me wonder why he did that,” she declared.
Pelosi continued, “At any rate, I pray for the president of the United States, and I pray for the United States of America.”
WATCH her full comments, and Schumer’s comments, in the video below.
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: U.S. judge issues ruling on Trump lawsuit to block House from getting his state tax returns
- VIDEO: Spoiler Alert: Here’s what happened to Sean Spicer on ‘Dancing With the Stars’
- BREAKING: Pentagon official makes allegations about Trump and Ukraine in testimony [READ TRANSCRIPT]
- OP-ED: Fox analyst says Democrats’ Trump impeachment inquiry is already in big trouble, thanks to one man
- REPORT: Rex Tillerson speaks out after Haley accusation
- BREAKING: Mexico makes arrests in massacre of American women, children -minister
- EXCLUSIVE: Veteran rips into NYC anti-Trump protesters in fiery confrontation [VIDEO]
- BREAKING: Supreme Court makes decision on lawsuit against gun manufacturer brought by Sandy Hook families
- VIDEO: Details emerge of how Trump saved the NYC Veterans Day Parade nearly 20 years ago
- VIDEO: Things Get Awkward On MSNBC When Student Makes Statement About Jeffrey Epstein