BREAKING: Trial of former Obama White House counsel is abruptly postponed
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by Politico:
The trial of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig on a criminal false-statement charge was abruptly postponed Tuesday after prosecutors and the defense raised belated concerns about the jury selection process.
Opening statements in the case — which was investigated by former special counsel Robert Mueller’s office — were expected Tuesday morning, but U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson shocked many in the courtroom by announcing that limits she placed on public access to jury selection Monday may have violated Craig’s constitutional right to a public trial.
The article goes on to state the following:
Craig’s defense told Jackson that they did not believe they could waive Craig’s rights on the point without bringing in other lawyers.
“Are you telling me we need to start over?” Jackson asked one of Craig’s attorneys, William Murphy, after some discussion about the access concerns and another defense objection to the process.
“Yes…..It’s unfortunate,” Murphy said.
Starting over may not be easy. A total of 70 jurors were called specially for Craig’s trial and the judge said it was unclear how quickly another group adequate to undertake jury selection could be assembled.
The report states that the trial might be postponed until November. Politico stated that the case against Craig, 74, is an offshoot of the now-closed Mueller investigation, as Craig’s Ukraine-related work came under new scrutiny during the case against Paul Manafort and Rick Gates.
The trial of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig on a criminal false-statement charge was abruptly postponed after prosecutors and the defense raised belated concerns about the jury selection process https://t.co/pPLl7Lea2t
— POLITICO (@politico) August 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit Politico. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting Politico
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Justice Department inspector general reportedly completes FISA abuse investigation [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Susan Boyle performs ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ a Decade After Famed Audition
- REPORT: White House is irritated over Nikki Haley’s mysterious tweet
- REPORT: Tlaib’s response to bombing death of 17-yr-old Israeli girl sparks outrage
- REPORT: Border Patrol busts woman with over $20K worth of fentanyl in her underwear
- REPORT: Omar lashes out in Twitter rant after Nadler criticizes her for sharing controversial cartoon
- REPORT: One Of Kavanaugh’s High School Classmates Is Suing HuffPost For ‘Fabricated’ Reporting
- REPORT: NFL player found dead along with wife, son sought by police
- REPORT: Pelosi again breaks with Democrats on impeachment
- VIDEO: Pro-Trump Ms. Nevada has been stripped of her crown