BREAKING: Top Pentagon official leaving Trump administration

Sign up for our newsletter
BY TEAM DML / FEBRUARY 19, 2020 /

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

Below is a report that DML News App gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:

A top Defense Department official is expected to leave the Trump administration after losing support from other national security leaders, CNN reported Wednesday, citing two unidentified sources.

John Rood, undersecretary of Defense for policy at the Pentagon, is set to exit his post following a request for his resignation, a source told the news network.

The article goes on to state the following:

Rood, who assumed his position in 2018, serves as a principal adviser to Defense Secretary Mark Esper and coordinates national security policy within the Pentagon as part of his role. He also oversees areas that deal with the country’s partnership with foreign allies.

Lucas Tomlinson with Fox News tweeted:

“Pentagon’s top policy adviser has drafted a resignation letter and plans to resign, U.S. official confirms.

“It’s not immediately clear why John Rood is resigning or who ordered him to leave. ‘He was told to resign,’ the official said.”

From CNN:

Hours after Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, which kicked off impeachment proceedings, Rood emailed Secretary of Defense Mark Esper — who had been in the job two days — informing him about an upcoming deputies meeting, “to discuss the President’s concern about endemic corruption in Ukraine and his reported view that US should cease providing security assistance,” according to emails reviewed by CNN.
Rood notes in his email to the secretary that “placing a hold on security assistance at this time would jeopardize this unique window of opportunity and undermine our defense priorities with a key partner in the strategic competition with Russia.”
The Pentagon declined to comment on the expected departure.
Vicky Ward with CNN tweeted:
“John Rood—the Pentagon’s top policy official who raised concern about withholding $250M in security assistance just hours after Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky—has reportedly been asked for his resignation.”

Jennifer Jacobs with Bloomberg tweeted:

“John Rood has stepped down as the top policy official at the Defense Department. He was involved in certifying to Congress that Ukraine was eligible to receive $250 million in security assistance.”

“Big news — top pentagon official John Rood out,” tweeted Jake Sherman with Politico.


To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.

DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com

Sign up for our newsletter

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *