BREAKING: SCOTUS makes decision on releasing grand jury evidence from Russia probe
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by USATODAY.COM:
WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court on Wednesday temporarily blocked Congress from obtaining secret grand jury material from the Russia investigation, putting on hold a lower court’s ruling that would’ve allowed such disclosure while it decides whether to take the case on appeal.
House Democrats and the Justice Department have been locked in a legal battle over grand jury testimony gathered during former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. In March, a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., ruled that the House committee is entitled to the evidence.
The article goes on to state the following:
The Justice Department is asking the Supreme Court to review the ruling. The high court gave the government until June 1 to file its legal papers arguing why the high court should take the appeal.
The House Judiciary Committee says the secret grand jury material “is central” to its possible obstruction of justice investigation of President Donald Trump. the material could provide new evidence of impeachable offenses.
In a legal filing, the House Judiciary Committee told the court:
“The Committee is being deprived of the information it needs to exercise its weighty constitutional responsibility.
“If DOJ’s request for a stay is granted, DOJ need not file its certiorari petition until August 2020, and therefore this Court likely would not determine whether to grant or deny that petition until at least October 2020. This substantial delay will seriously endanger the Committee’s ability to complete its impeachment investigation during the current Congress— which ends not long thereafter on January 3, 2021.”
To get more information about this article, please visit USATODAY.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting USATODAY.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Incredible video of undercover officer disarming man who stole rifle from police
- VIDEO: Dallas business owner trying to defend store beaten and stoned by rioters – DML responds
- BREAKING: Historic church near White House set on fire by rioters [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Dozens rendered unconscious by Minneapolis police neckholds in past five years
- VIDEO: Some police officers support protesters by taking a knee
- REPORT: Cuomo calls for independent investigations into all police brutality allegations
- REPORT: Viral photo shows cop being protected by black protesters during riot
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton launches accusation at Trump about ‘calling for violence’
- REPORT: Sessions Admits Trump’s Frustration With Russia Probe ‘Not All Unjustified’
- EXCLUSIVE: Single mom, physician assistant posts blistering open letter to Gov. Cuomo [READ]