BREAKING: Labor Department releases update on jobless claims as economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic lingers
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by USATODAY.COM:
Layoffs fueled by the coronavirus pandemic continue to mount.
About 2.4 million Americans filed initial unemployment benefit claims last week, the Labor Department said Thursday, as the health and economic crisis sparked by the coronavirus ruptures a growing number of industries.
The article goes on to state the following:
In just nine weeks, 38.6 million have sought jobless benefits that represent the nation’s most reliable gauge of layoffs.
The U.S. Labor Department announced Thursday morning: “Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims. Initial claims were 2,438,000 for the week ending 5/16 (-249,000).
Insured unemployment was 25,073,000 for the week ending 5/9 (+2,525,000).”
Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims
Initial claims were 2,438,000 for the week ending 5/16 (-249,000).
Insured unemployment was 25,073,000 for the week ending 5/9 (+2,525,000).https://t.co/ys7Eg5LKAW
— US Labor Department (@USDOL) May 21, 2020
— CNBC (@CNBC) May 21, 2020
2.4 million Americans filed for unemployment last week, bringing total claims to about 38 million over the past nine weeks amid COVID-19 https://t.co/4CP8dy3qTV
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) May 21, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit USATODAY.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting USATODAY.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Incredible video of undercover officer disarming man who stole rifle from police
- VIDEO: GOP Senator: If Local Law Enforcement Overwhelmed, Let’s See How Anarchists Respond When the 101st Airborne Is on the Other Side of the Street
- VIDEO: Dallas business owner trying to defend store beaten and stoned by rioters – DML responds
- BREAKING: Historic church near White House set on fire by rioters [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Dozens rendered unconscious by Minneapolis police neckholds in past five years
- VIDEO: Some police officers support protesters by taking a knee
- REPORT: Cuomo calls for independent investigations into all police brutality allegations
- REPORT: Viral photo shows cop being protected by black protesters during riot
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton launches accusation at Trump about ‘calling for violence’
- REPORT: Sessions Admits Trump’s Frustration With Russia Probe ‘Not All Unjustified’