BREAKING: House votes on amendment to reverse transgender military ban
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The House on Thursday approved an amendment to the annual defense policy bill aimed at reversing President Trump’s policy banning most transgender people from serving in the military.
The amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) would enshrine in law that any person who meets gender-neutral occupational standards can serve in the military regardless of race, color, national origin, religion or sex, including gender identity or sexual orientation.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Over the last three years, 14,000 transgender service members have served openly and successfully,” said Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.), the sponsor of the amendment. “All five service chiefs affirmed they do not hamper lethality or cohesion. Malice and ignorance cannot stop us giving medical care to those brave enough to serve. We know what transgender service members bring to the fight; let them bring it.”
The amendment passed 242-187, largely along party lines.
The House just passed an amendment to the #FY20NDAA that ends President Trump’s ban on transgender Americans serving in the military.
We need their skills.
We need their courage.
We need their patriotism.
And they need our support in this fight for the right to fight. pic.twitter.com/FgwXngkrZO
— Anthony G. Brown (@RepAnthonyBrown) July 11, 2019
By a vote of 242 to 187, the House just adopted an amendment to the #FY20NDAA that will put an end to the President’s discriminatory, unconstitutional ban on transgender service members. Thank you @RepSpeier for your tireless work to create a more inclusive military.
— House Armed Services (@HASCDemocrats) July 11, 2019
#ICYMI I spoke on the House floor about my amdt to protect the rights of all people, including our transgender troops, to serve openly. @POTUS‘ transgender service ban is based in hatred, not fact, & weakens our military’s strength and readiness. https://t.co/jaG6gGyuXA https://t.co/X05NsCy7Re
— Jackie Speier (@RepSpeier) July 11, 2019
Over the last 3 years, 14,000 transgender military servicemembers have bravely, openly, proudly & successfully served our country. All 5 service chiefs agree there’s no reason for the Trump Admin’s hateful ban. I urge my colleagues to do what’s right & #SupportTransTroops! https://t.co/h0xqftAgEQ
— Jackie Speier (@RepSpeier) July 9, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) July 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Schiff makes announcement on releasing impeachment inquiry transcripts to the public
- REPORT: Impeachment gets real: McConnell gives Senate Republicans tutorial on Trump trial
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Continues To Divert Campaign Funds To Alleged Boyfriend’s Company
- VIDEO: Trump called Pelosi a ‘third-rate politician’ during Syria meeting, top Democrats say
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham threatens to become ‘Trump’s worst nightmare’
- TRUMP TWEET: Releases statement on death of Elijah Cummings
- BREAKING: 4th defendant in case involving Rudy Giuliani associates arrested at airport
- BREAKING: House votes on resolution rebuking Trump over withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria
- VIDEO: Pelosi doubles down on Trump ‘meltdown’: ‘We have to pray for his health’
- Trump Tweets: ‘The Do Nothing Democrats’ and ‘Nervous Nancy’s Unhinged Meltdown’ [PICTURES]