BREAKING: House Dems yank vote on spending bill over congressional pay raise
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
House Democratic leaders have decided to withdraw part of a massive federal spending bill set for a vote later this week after an uproar over whether members of Congress might see their first pay raise in a decade.
The bill as filed would restore a cost-of-living increase that was suspended amid a recession-battered economy. But lawmakers in both parties, sensitive to the optics of voting to raise their own pay from $174,000, publicly erupted over the issue.
The article goes on to state the following:
A senior Democratic aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe internal deliberations, said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other leaders have decided to withdraw the portion of the bill funding the legislative branch.
BREAKING: House Democrats are postponing consideration of a bill that would include a pay raise for members of Congress, after facing a major backlash from the party’s most vulnerable membershttps://t.co/wOA9PQy7dy
— POLITICO (@politico) June 10, 2019
BREAKING: House Democrats are postponing consideration of a bill to give themselves a pay raise after facing backlash
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) June 10, 2019
Lol. These people. They make $174,000 yearly, have a light work schedule compared to most 40-hr-a-week folks, & have staffs who cater to their needs, including air travel for which they get line-cutting privileges
And they wanted … a $4,500 raisehttps://t.co/szcjvqRUQB
— Marc Caputo (@MarcACaputo) June 10, 2019
House Democrats yank legislation that would give lawmakers pay hike https://t.co/82o0O2ovjM
— Scott Wong (@scottwongDC) June 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WashingtonPost. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WashingtonPost
Trending on DML News App
- UPDATE: Ohio child sex trafficking sting nabs more than 100, including church leader, ER doctor [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Meghan McCain walks off ABC set after clash with Navarro
- BREAKING: ‘House Hunters’ host dies at 56
- VIDEO: Candace Owens has mic drop moment at White Supremacy hearing
- POLL: Should Biden and his son be investigated for their ties to Ukraine?
- BREAKING: Chaos erupts after car drives through Illinois mall [VIDEOS]
- BREAKING: Trump sending troops to Middle East in response to attack on Saudi Arabia [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Ukraine issues statement about investigating Biden’s son
- REPORT: Judge orders Trump to answer questions under oath in protesters’ case
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez bemoans treatment by other Democrats