BREAKING: EU official calls on Turkey to halt Syria attack
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest developments following President Donald Trump’s decision to abandon Syrian Kurdish fighters ahead of an expected Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria (all times local):
A top European Union official is calling on Turkey to halt its military operation in northern Syria and is warning that the EU will not be paying to help Ankara set up any safe zone there.
The article goes on to state the following:
Speaking to EU lawmakers Wednesday, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said: “I call on Turkey as well as on the other actors to act with restraint and to stop operations already, as we are speaking, underway.”
The Associated Press noted that the “EU is paying Turkey 6 billion euros ($6.6 billion) to help the country cope with almost 4 million Syrian refugees on its territory in exchange for stopping migrants leaving for Europe.”
However, the E.U. is threatening to pull the funding. Juncker reportedly said that “if the Turkish plan involves the creation of a so-called safe zone, don’t expect the European Union to pay for any of it.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced on Twitter that his country is now moving in to invade northeastern Syria.
Turkish warplanes have already started targeting “civilian areas” in northern Syria, a Kurdish spokesman has reported, saying the airstrikes have caused “a huge panic among people of the region.”
CLICK HERE to read more.
Turkish President Erdogan has announced that a Turkish military operation into Syria has started. Kurdish fighters say Turkish warplanes have begun attacking the region. https://t.co/DHj4lkpr4T
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit APNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting APNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Rubio fires warning shot at Twitter after it puts fact-check label on Trump tweet
- EXCLUSIVE: Retired INS agent rips into Governor Cuomo, reveals corruption over nursing home deaths [VIDEO]
- Submit News
- REPORT: Bill Gates explains why he met with Epstein
- REPORT: Former CBS News president warns anti-Trump liberal media has gone too far
- DML Live: How Trump can influence the end of Twitter, plus the impact of 100k dead
- VIDEO: Video shows altercation between looters and woman in wheelchair outside Minneapolis Target
- BREAKING: Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin subject of complaints before George Floyd’s death
- REPORT: Lindsey Graham predicts Biden’s vice presidential pick
- VIDEO: Kayleigh McEnany responds to reports she voted by mail 11 times