BREAKING: EU official calls on Turkey to halt Syria attack
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest developments following President Donald Trump’s decision to abandon Syrian Kurdish fighters ahead of an expected Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria (all times local):
A top European Union official is calling on Turkey to halt its military operation in northern Syria and is warning that the EU will not be paying to help Ankara set up any safe zone there.
The article goes on to state the following:
Speaking to EU lawmakers Wednesday, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said: “I call on Turkey as well as on the other actors to act with restraint and to stop operations already, as we are speaking, underway.”
The Associated Press noted that the “EU is paying Turkey 6 billion euros ($6.6 billion) to help the country cope with almost 4 million Syrian refugees on its territory in exchange for stopping migrants leaving for Europe.”
However, the E.U. is threatening to pull the funding. Juncker reportedly said that “if the Turkish plan involves the creation of a so-called safe zone, don’t expect the European Union to pay for any of it.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced on Twitter that his country is now moving in to invade northeastern Syria.
Turkish warplanes have already started targeting “civilian areas” in northern Syria, a Kurdish spokesman has reported, saying the airstrikes have caused “a huge panic among people of the region.”
CLICK HERE to read more.
Turkish President Erdogan has announced that a Turkish military operation into Syria has started. Kurdish fighters say Turkish warplanes have begun attacking the region. https://t.co/DHj4lkpr4T
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit APNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting APNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton pulls out of women’s event after learning who else was going to speak
- REPORT: Tulsi Gabbard’s Husband Shares Powerful Photo Reminding People Where Her Loyalties Lie
- EXCLUSIVE: Identity revealed of wounded veteran who Trump saluted at Texas rally [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
- BREAKING: GOP congressman who is considering Trump impeachment announces retirement [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Chick-fil-A closing after backlash over donations to Christian organizations
- REPORT: New details emerge on monthly payments sent to Hunter Biden by Ukrainian company
- TRUMP TWEETS: Taunts Pelosi by highlighting protesters invading her office
- REPORT: Rick Perry throws the Dems’ subpoena for Ukraine documents back in their face
- VIDEO: 2016 Trump GOP Challenger Comes Out for Impeachment; The Left Reacts
- REPORT: 2020 candidate defends Tulsi Gabbard after Clinton attack