BREAKING: DOJ places new legal barrier between Democrats and Trump impeachment witnesses
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Justice Department opened a new front in the legal battle between congressional impeachment investigators and the White House on Tuesday by announcing that Congress must allow government attorneys to accompany executive branch witnesses who testify about President Donald Trump’s relations with Ukraine.
In a newly-released memo, the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel said “the assistance of agency counsel” is needed because testimony has the potential to disclose information “protected by executive privilege.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The House Intelligence Committee, which has taken the lead on the impeachment inquiry, has heard from a number of witnesses whose personal lawyers have been allowed to attend depositions. But the Justice Department argued in its memo that the exclusion of government lawyers deprives Trump of his constitutional power to screen privileged information from lawmakers.
— The Hill (@thehill) November 5, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- WHY DO THIS TO TRUMP? Fox News Poll reveals anti-Trump sentiment
- HYPOCRISY: Dems seeking to impeach Trump for blocking aid to Ukraine, voted against the same thing
- GOT TO SEE: Joy Villa shocks liberals with Pro-Trump dress at Grammys
- VIDEO: Schiff scoffs at GOP calls for his testimony in impeachment trial
- REPORT: Schiff fires back at Trump: ‘What are you hiding?’
- VIDEO: Schiff says Trump tweet is ‘intended to be’ a threat
- REPORT: Trump rips Chuck Todd for ‘softball’ Schiff interview
- VIDEO: Dershowitz speaks out on case Democrats laid out in Senate trial
- REPORT: 2020 hopeful celebrates after qualifying poll puts him back on Democratic debate stage
- UPDATE: FIFTH coronavirus case now confirmed in US; infection can spread before symptoms show